Introduction to Planning Guidance
- Walking the facility to better understand the locations an employee, occupant or visitor could best utilize to seek cover and/or concealment.
- Reviewing current security measures to establish vulnerabilities which could be easily mitigated by process improvement.
Evolution of the Active Shooter
- Revisiting recent active shooter events which correlate directly to your specific facility.
Incorporating Active Shooter Considerations into the Occupant Emergency Program
- Uncovering challenges in the process.
- Review of current procedures, to include shelter-in-place and evacuation procedures.
- Reporting Indicators, Warnings, and Incidents of Workplace Violence
- Threat Assessment Teams
- Law Enforcement and First Responder Coordination
Training and Exercises
- Training and Awareness Material
- Occupant Self-Help and First Aid
- Considerations for Medical First Responders (Fire and EMS)
- Run, Hide, Fight for Occupants with Disabilities
- Run, Hide, Fight for Occupants with Children (Daycare or Parent/Guardian Situation)
- Interacting with First Responders
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Access and Staging
- Tenant Cooperation with Law Enforcement
- Communications/Media Messaging
- The Importance of Effective Communication in a Crisis Environment
- Psychological First Aid
- Training on Psychological First Aid
- Managing the Responses to Victims and Families